The following is an interview taken from the Chairperson of the State Students Admission Commission, Ms. Maleyka Abbaszade on 4 February, 2015.
"Mistakes of teachers and inaccuracy of textbooks are never forgotten!"
- What part does scientific-methodic monitoring and preparation of textbooks take in the early stage of reformation program of education?
- In order to achieve successful development of textbook policy it is a must to organize open discussions, investigate reviews of experts, scientists, parents and teachers, and refer to them in the future stages of textbook policy.
The content, language and style, design and development, and compatibility issues of textbooks should be followed in the evaluation and monitoring. It must be made sure that the criteria of textbooks are based on the state standards and regulations.
Once the textbooks are launched, scientific-methodic monitoring must be carried out to investigate at what level they meet the requirements.
Meet the requirements of textbooks to determine what level of monitoring should be carried out their scientific and methodological
- What was the reason of conduct of the scientific-methodic monitoring of textbooks?
- The scientific-methodic monitoring of textbooks was primarily initiated according to the decree of President of Azerbaijan Republic regarding the amendments to the charter of SSAC, signed on April 19th, 2012.
Based on the decree, within the SSAC a separate department, consisting of two sectors, was created.
For the implementation of the monitoring, special methodologies have been developed and other organizational measures were taken.
- What are the important stages of the organization and management of the process of scientific-methodic monitoring and what is the role of ICT in this?
- Nowadays at all stages of monitoring the ICT is being widely used. The ICT made it possible for anyone, anywhere to join the monitoring process, and propose his/her opinion or request online. It also provided chance for experts and teachers with busy schedule to join the process and contribute in the discussions.
At the first stage of monitoring, via the web site of SSAC, e-mail was sentout to pedagogical public. It was stated in the electron mail that in order to collect data regarding the textbooks of I-XI grade a new electron address, “firstname.lastname@example.org”, was created. The mail asked teachers to send their feedbacks, comments and suggestions to that e-mail.
The following stages include:
A preliminary inspection of textbooks by experts
Comparison of the public and expert opinions and comments
Discussion of compared views
- The presentation of conclusions, drawn from the general discussions, to the authors of textbooks
Analysis of textbooks by independent experts, which is followed by the reply of textbook authors regarding to the stated comments
Development of finalreviews, posting on “Derslik” (“Manual”) portal and sending it to Ministry of Education.
I would like to mention it explicitly that the portal “Derslik” (“Manual”) was created by the Ministry of Education and SSAC as a joint electron project. The portal consists of 3 sections: Monitoring, News and discussion.
I strongly recommend every teacher to visit the www.derslik.edu.az portal and explore it. I would also like to thank citizens who visit the portal and notify their thoughts and attitudes.
- What are the parameters and criteria carried out for monitoring and evaluation of textbooks?
- Scientific-methodical monitoring of textbooks is carried out in 4 directions:
Language and writing style
Coordination of tasks on scientific and methodological point of view.
Methodological documents relating to the conduct of the work in each direction is uploaded to the portal.
- Could you please inform readers about the monitoring process, management and the progress and results of statistical indicators?
- Currently, within the department of monitoring, there are 21 scientific-methodic workshops of different subjects in operation. In total 5762 people are enrolled in workshops. 91 training workshops were held, only in the last 4 months of 2014.
Overall 1223 experts are involved in the monitoring of textbooks.
During this period, 301 textbooks used in I-XI classes (in Azerbaijani and Russian sector), teaching aids for 188 teachers, and 58 workbooks were monitored.
So far, only 21 sets of textbooks of I-VI classes were not considered appropriate.
The publications of the SSAC are being monitored and evaluated as well.
As an endnote I would like to mention that we have to change our attitude towards the textbooks. Mankind invented a book in order to pass on the knowledge, history, the national and moral values from generation to generation. Textbooks are the most important of all books and are the foundation of the future. They impact our brains, then our lives, and finallyour society as a whole. The power of these textbooks is great enough affect the fate of the country, its politics, economy and culture.
And it is significant to know that mistakes of teachers and inaccuracy of textbooks are never forgotten.